Smith

We are Smith House—mighty, mighty Smith House!

What's in a name?

Smith House, named after Mr. S. Percy Smith, was built in 1948, making it one of the oldest buildings on campus. Smith joined the BCS community in 1910, leaving the school to join the war effort in 1916. He returned to BCS as a Housemaster for one year before becoming Headmaster in 1920. For 11 years, Smith steered the school as its Head and took the school from the Bishop’s University campus to the current location. Smith House is one of the first buildings one sees after crossing the St. Francis River, and its lawn is always abuzz with activities like BBQs and basketball games.
 
From Old Boy to teacher to Headmaster, Mr. Smith always put education first during his tenure. So much so that even when he became Headmaster, he didn’t let go of any of his teaching responsibilities. Ever present, Mr. Smith never missed a first team game as he considered physical activities, like hockey, a priority. In 1926, he built Memorial Arena to honour the Old Boys who fell in the First World War. The rink is now part of his legacy at BCS. In June 1929, he received D.C.L. (Honoris Causa) from Bishop’s University in appreciation of his service to education.

Show your support for Smith


Your gift to the House Sweet Home campaign for Smith House will be put towards much-needed upgrades, with work on these projects beginning this summer. 

Support these exciting Smith projects!

List of 4 items.

  • Full bathroom makeovers

  • New bedroom and common room furniture

  • New kitchen appliances and upgrades

  • New patio space

Smith Houseparents through the years

R. L. Evans 1954-1960 • R. R. Owen 1961-1983 • Mr. & Mrs. Evans 1983-1992 • Mr. & Mrs. Mortimer 1992-1996 • Mr. & Mrs. Mooney 1996-1999 • Mr. & Mrs. Reid 1999-2000 • Mr. & Mrs. Reid 2000-2002 • Scott Kelso 2002-2008 • Darren Matthews 2009-2016 • Jay Wilt 2016-2020 • Gilles Nichols 2020-Present

From then...                                                   

...to now.


Bishop's College School is an independent English-language boarding and day school for grades 7 to 12 in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada.