Williams House has had several names over the years: Standish House, Wilkie’s House, Waddie’s House, and Pop Page’s House. It was eventually determined that it would be known as Williams House—named in honour of BCS’ fifth Headmaster, Reverend James W. Williams. Williams served the BCS community as Headmaster from 1857 to 1963, when he was appointed the fourth Bishop of Quebec. Years later, his son, Lennox, would become the sixth Bishop of Quebec.
During his lifetime, Reverend, and then Bishop, Williams participated vigorously in the development of the Protestant public school system in Quebec and collaborated with Sir Alexander Galt in drawing up Section 93 of the British North American Act (Constitution Act, 1867), which conferred upon Parliament the responsibility of protecting the educational rights of minorities.