A History of Philanthropy
BCS is a school that has quite literally been built by philanthropy. Our founder, Reverend Lucius Doolittle, relied on support from a handful of families to establish a small school for boys in 1836. By 1916-17, the school was a respected educational institution that was able to build the magnificent current-day School House, Chapel, and Ross Hall through the support of Commander J.K.L. Ross. This massive project, funded entirely through philanthropic support, was celebrated through an inauguration ceremony attended by British royalty. Thanks to continuing generosity over the following decades, our infrastructure has grown alongside an endowment that has established scholarships, financial assistance, and programs that offer exceptional opportunities to youth. Today, BCS prides itself on the largest per-student endowment in Canada and a beautiful 250-acre riverside campus, all made possible through the philanthropic support of parents, grandparents, alumni, and friends of the school.